Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Wed, July 18, 2007 6:13 am, David Powers wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote:
>> You probably have made far more from your book than most rock
>> artists,
>> and surprisingly more than some of the rock "stars" with
>> particularly
>> bad contracts, or who have only had one "hit" song.
>
> I'm glad you have such a high opinion of the earning power of my
> books.

I've tech-edited a couple tech books.

I've got a pretty good idea what your advance was, and what your
royalties are.

I'm sticking to my statement that, surprisingly, you've probably made
more than some rock "stars" with bad contract who had only one hit
song.

Note that I am distinguishing between what ended up in the artist
pocket and what ended up in the label's, just as you distinguish
between what's in your pocket and your publisher's.

>> It is important to be accurate in this area, imho, as there is
>> already
>> way too much misinformation, oft-repeated by the media.
>
> It's also important not to perpetuate the myth that the authors of
> computer books are in the same league as JK Rowling or Stephen King. A
> book that sells more than 5,000 copies is the exception, not the rule.
>
> http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6353274.html?pubdate=7%2F17%2F2006&display=current

I am under no illusion that your royalties match Ms. Rowling or Mr.
King. :-)

It's more like this:

[ordered list]

Rock stars with multiple hits/albums who have re-negotiated a second
contract.

Rowling/King

You.

Rock stars with one hit.

Musicians you never heard of.

Actually, Rowling/King may well be ahead of many of the rock stars who
got a second contract, come to think of it...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?