Re: Pirate PHP books online?

Stut wrote:
I'm not defending what they do, but don't expect it to go anywhere - it's proven several times to be untouchable and is likely here to stay for a very long time.

I'm not naive enough to believe that piracy can be stopped. Sadly, the publicity surrounding such sites and their philosophy always concentrates on movies or music. Movie companies and rock artists make more money before breakfast than the author of a computer-related book is likely to make in a whole year (at least from book royalties).

It's also quite likely that the 2,000 people who have downloaded my book so far wouldn't have bothered to buy it if they hadn't been able to get it for nothing. So, I realize that a large part of it is a paper loss. Nevertheless, I'm being ripped off. Pirate sites like to portray themselves as battling against big business, but they do immense damage to independent writers. If they drive us out of business, everyone will be worse off in the end.

David Powers