Re: Re: no offense to Rasmus... are you kidding me

There's nothing wrong with staying true to the philosophy at all, I
just think that it may well be detrimental in the end. And that is
what I said in the (toilet)paper, that there will be (emphasis on the
eventuality, not on the present actuality) a time that PHP will become
the old stuff because it did not evolve with the philosophies.

These philosophies are new and I can understand thinking that it's
hype, but it's important to recognize it as legitimate. Agile
Development (and the broader term Web 2.0) is, right now, the bleeding
edge of development, and I and many others see it as the future of
development philosophies.

I'm not saying that Rasmus can't see, but that he will easily choose
to stay with how he sees the forest – understandable as I choose to
stay with what I see, but I think he has a lot invested in his view
and may not open up as easily.

To Stut:

Honestly, I'd love to see basic variables be objects, as models of
real world data with properties for the data such as a $number->length
or $word->as_array() giving you letters.

I know that PHP is a functional language, and secondly, an OO
language, but I think that you can blend these things better and have
the OO brought to the forefront a bit more. Yes, I'm a fan of OO, but
I know that many people aren't and don't use PHP's OO (and don't when
it's appropriate). But I know you can integrate OO without having to
force the functional programmers to give up their way.

This is just ONE thing that could make PHP better and allow for more
modern philosophical development. Particularly, I would like to see
more creativity. Sure, PHP's moving fast, but with our big things
being Unicode support and removing globals and safe mode, I think that
we could be a little more innovative for PHP6.

Again, it's not behind the times right now, but the times are changing
and I'd like to see PHP change with them.

M.T.