Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Hello,

on 09/15/2005 09:32 AM Oliver Grätz said the following:
First of all, in many cases code reuse still is a myth. I hate to say it
but it's true. Then, a large potion of the PHP community hasn't even
heard of PEAR. Then, people definitely start projects from scratch. If
You don't know if you have any numbers to back "the large portion of the PHP community claim".

The proof is the sheer number of "this is *THE* PHP application
framework to use" sites on the internet. Some people don't like reusing
code, some evaluate those projects and decide against them. For my part,
before reinventing the wheel I always spend some time serching through
PEAR and the web but very often the available solutions don't fit my
needs. I simply suppose other developers tend to act the same way.

That is not proof of your claim. It is just your opinion without figures to back the clain

Anyway, as the developer of phpclasses.org, the largest PHP class repository, I can inform you that the site has accumulated near 270,000 subscriber since 1999, of which at least half of them are considered active as you may verify here:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/statistics/statistics.html

The site has 2,200 approved packages but only 71 are PHP 5 specific.

That is a lot of people reusing a lot of public class libraries!

Ah, that thing. The site that always gives me problems when I try to log

I have no idea what problems are talking. All sessions expire after 30 days. If you need to access something that requires authentication, you need to login after 30 days of abscense. If you do not recall your password, you can ask a reminder or to reset the password. Other than that, I don't know problems are you talking about?

in after absence. I had switched to reregistering for every access
before Berlios came along (thanks for threatening to sue them) and now I
use the "Monster TGZs".

I am afraid you are also misunderstanding the matters. That fellow was abusing from the site in several ways. One is that he was ripping all the title and descriptions of the packages that I enter when I approve a class. That is a copyright violation. Another thing is that he was employing robots to leech the site. Not only it was causing excessive load to the server but he was also causing excessive bandwidth usage.

Anyway, I do not care if whoever replicates the package files available in the site. If you want to waste bandwidth on that, that is your problem. I just can't accept serving files to people that act with malice against a site that serves tens of thousands of PHP users, causing me financial expenses that the site advertising revenue can't cover. After all what do you want? Shut down the site so no PHP user can benefit from it?

Anyway, the problem of excessive load and bandwidth, was not being cause by just that fellow. Therefore, in case you do not know, several measures were taken to discourage the use of robots. All the users receiving the site newsletter were told about this. If you have not been in the site lately, once you get there you will realize why leeches will have an hard time to work now. This means that it will be hard to keep up with replication repositories.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/