Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Manuel Lemos schrieb:

>>A reference where _I_ have to search is something like a non-answer...
>
> If you try searching the bug database for PHP 4 versus PHP 5 opened bug
> reports you will get your answer.

Same sentence still applies. But OK: PHP4 has 518 open bugs, PHP5 only
203. What does this say about the stability of PHP4?

  http://bugs.php.net/bugstats.php?phpver=4
  http://bugs.php.net/bugstats.php?phpver=5

Also, PHP4 (first beta 19-Jul-1999) has a history of over 25300 bugs in
its 6 year long history whereas PHP5 (first beta 29-Jun-2003) has had
less than 4300 bugs filed in 2 years. Project this to 6 years and you
are at 13000 filed bugs, roughly half as many as for PHP4.

The site also states that PHP5 bugs are handled more quickly: PHP5: 47/3
vs PHP4: 71/5 (days average/median lifetime). So, you send me a link
supporting my arguments. Thank you.

> In case it was not clear for you, what I am saying is not the matter is
> PHP 4.x vs. PHP 5.x, but rather upgrading vs. not upgrading.
> [...]
>>I've got PHP5 and 4 running on the same machine.
>
> I just do not get why you still run PHP 4 when you are so confident that
> PHP 5 is the right version to use.

Didn't you give yourself the answer? I'm not using PHP5 (read:
upgrading) for stuff that doesn't want it (meaning its debian package
requires PHP4). For my own projects I use PHP5 and if I decide to use
some packages meant to be used with PHP4 I have yet to encounter real
problems that are PHP5-problems.

>>First of all, in many cases code reuse still is a myth. I hate to say it
>>but it's true. Then, a large potion of the PHP community hasn't even
>>heard of PEAR. Then, people definitely start projects from scratch. If
>
> You don't know if you have any numbers to back "the large portion of the
> PHP community claim".

The proof is the sheer number of "this is *THE* PHP application
framework to use" sites on the internet. Some people don't like reusing
code, some evaluate those projects and decide against them. For my part,
before reinventing the wheel I always spend some time serching through
PEAR and the web but very often the available solutions don't fit my
needs. I simply suppose other developers tend to act the same way.

> Anyway, as the developer of phpclasses.org, the largest PHP class
> repository, I can inform you that the site has accumulated near 270,000
> subscriber since 1999, of which at least half of them are considered
> active as you may verify here:
>
> http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/statistics/statistics.html
>
> The site has 2,200 approved packages but only 71 are PHP 5 specific.
>
> That is a lot of people reusing a lot of public class libraries!

Ah, that thing. The site that always gives me problems when I try to log
in after absence. I had switched to reregistering for every access
before Berlios came along (thanks for threatening to sue them) and now I
use the "Monster TGZs".

AllOLLi