Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Always this stuff about breaking backward compatibility. People seem to
think that the change from 4 to 5 means such a lot. In fact the changes
from PHP4.0 to PHP4.4 are much more numerous. The backwarr incompatible
changes between 4 and 5 fit on asingle page of screen:

  http://de.php.net/manual/en/migration5.incompatible.php

And most of these changes don't affect the normal programmer.

I think the change from 4 to 5 ist that slow because there are so many
programmers with VisualBasic (or worse) background that don't see the
benefits of OOP. Iterators and delegation via interceptors are cool
concepts but to use them you have to learn how to use them. And before
you learn how to use them you have to understand what they're for and
why they're cool. And before that you have to know that such things even
exist. And with questions like "How do I increment by more than one in a
for loop" on the forum this isn't very likely to be the case for a
majority of the PHP community. It's a very big community with some
experts and a lot of total beginners. And a beginner likes to stick with
what works for him.

I guess we'll have to wait for the hosters to adopt PHP5 and then for
the next generation of PHP beginners. They will not know that there was
PHP4 when they begin to learn. For example, they will use PDO for
database access right from the start and intuitively use the iterator of
PDOStatement.

AllOLLi