Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Hello,

on 09/13/2005 10:46 PM Oliver Grätz said the following:
Always this stuff about breaking backward compatibility. People seem to
think that the change from 4 to 5 means such a lot. In fact the changes
from PHP4.0 to PHP4.4 are much more numerous. The backwarr incompatible
changes between 4 and 5 fit on asingle page of screen:

  http://de.php.net/manual/en/migration5.incompatible.php

And most of these changes don't affect the normal programmer.

In theory those are the only changes. In practice, besides the officially admitted changes, there are also the bugs that were not yet discovered or fixed.

I think the change from 4 to 5 ist that slow because there are so many
programmers with VisualBasic (or worse) background that don't see the
benefits of OOP. Iterators and delegation via interceptors are cool

!?!? You can do OOP since PHP 3. PHP 5 OOP improvements are nice but they will not make anybody richer .

I do not think the problem is PHP 4 vs. 5, but rather "upgrading to a new version a deal with known and unknown changes" vs. "not upgrading and keep sites working as before".

It's a very big community with some
experts and a lot of total beginners. And a beginner likes to stick with
what works for him.

I do not think this is a beginners problem. As a matter of fact begginners are more likely to naively jump to newer versions just to ride on the top of the latest wave. More experience developers are the ones that tend to be wiser not delay upgrades because they know that "new versions have new bugs".

As a matter of fact I just read this interesting article named "The Six Dumbest Ideas in Computer Security" that demonstrates what I always knew that upgrading to the latest versions is often a bad idea. Read the point #6) Action is Better Than Inaction .

http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos