Re: Quick Poll: PHP 4 / 5

Hello,

on 09/13/2005 10:39 PM Ben said the following:
I guess this should ring a lot of bells for those that expect to develop products targetted to PHP 5, because the numbers seem to show that PHP 5 is a flop, despite PHP 5.0.0 was released more than 1 year ago.

I think it points more to hosting providers who don't want to force their clients to ensure their sites are php5 compatible. I'm sure if a client were to ask they would host them on a machine with php5, but if they are already on one with php4 they won't rock your boat. Hosting providers, which account for the vast majority of hosted domains, are pretty conservative.

Right, but the problem all boils down to one matter: money! What happens is that many hosts have hundreds (to not say thousands) of clients hosted per server. If they upgrade the PHP version, chances are that they may break the applications of many clients. Displeased clients leave and they loose business.

Therefore hosts are absolutely right in not messing with the servers of the customers that are pleased with their current setup, or else it will hurt their pockets big time!

OTOH clients that have their sites working fine and dandy with current PHP version have no reason to change, unless what they may gain can justify the headache of asking to switch to a server with the PHP version of their choice or switch to another host that provides it.

It seems that PHP 5 is not that much compelling to most people to justify the change.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/