Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Quoting Ke'tszeri Csaba <csaba@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

About zend: sorry to say that here, but the less tools you use, the more freedom you have. Give me ssh access to any server running my php code and I can inspect it very well, may fix it in one shot :)). From anywhere.

For what it's worth, I agree. I work with php at home and run it on a server with no graphical interface installed. For all of my work there, I ssh to the server and use vi to edit the files.

At the office, we plan to use Zend Studio (it provides some functionality we like) and Zend Platform (for monitoring the server), but we will definitely ensure that any apps would run on a server with just php (to avoid lock-in).

More tecnically, like we were programmers: php offers several of its functions as a wrapping of low level system routines and native drivers. I can hardly imagine any app design to be more effective than this.
If you are worried about code parsing, php accelerator may be just enough. ;)

Thanks for your input!
Rick