Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Quoting Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

what is special about the MSSQL2K servers? do you have a lot of stored
procedures in it? stuff like that?

Exactly; the past mentality has been "do everything through stored procedures", so we have a *lot*. Also, my manager's boss (who has since retired) had a very Microsoft-centric outlook. My manager is gradually overcoming that, but everything we do is data collection, storage, and retrieval, so MSSQL2K is pretty entrenched in the organization.

if the MSSQL servers are so important/complex/big/etc then maybe ASP.not
is the right way to go? given that moving 'everything' from
client-server to web-baseed interfaces isn't really a short-term
operation. (assuming some level of complexity in the existing software.)

Good point. But ASP.Net is definitely out (even my Microsoft-centric manager wants to stay away from the Framework for now). Only new applications and smaller existing utilities will be done web-based, with an eye on porting existing applications gradually at some later time as our schedule permits. And you hit the nail right on the head; our existing apps are very complex (heavy COM+, MSMQ, and some of those other nasty bits :-); those won't even be considered for some time.

A funny thing about this; I wrote a php application as a proof-of-concept (to show that it would work for us). The big-wigs in the organization fell in love with the app, and it was placed into production. It was initially placed on a W2K server with IIS 5, but we had some problems. It was moved to a W2K3 server with IIS 6, and the problem remained. I moved the app to a Linux server (well, it's really just a PC) with Apache2, and it's run for a few weeks without any problems. I think my manager's new boss wants to use this success to use a production Linux server (which would be our first) to host our web apps.

like marcromedia tools are required to run CF, they 'tie you in' to
the technology. buying Zend products is optional, if the Zend IDE is judge to
be a moneysaving tool for working with PHP then you buy it. But you
don't have to. the essential tools are with out cost and open to inspection
and modification. Purchasing Zend Accelerator/Encoder maybe a good move
for you company but again its not a requirement.

Absolutely. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm used to developing through ssh with vi :-) Any code we write would have to run on a server without any Zend products, but those of us who have evaluated them believe there is enough added value in some of the Zend products to consider them.

from a strategic point of view it might also not be wise to make a
substanstial investment in technology from a company thats just been
bought out by the competion (adobe)?

That will definitely be discussed; I read an article the other day that the acquisition has now put Adobe/Macromedia in Microsoft's cross-hairs. Of course, I also read an article that Microsoft is trying to extinguish LAMP, but I actually chuckled when I read that one.

Thanks for your input!
Rick