Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Rick Emery wrote:
My employer has (finally) decided to take full advantage of our intranet, and wants to move from client-server applications to web-based applications. To that end, we're trying to determine the best platform for our applications. We're a Microsoft shop, with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 for all of our databases (that won't change any time soon, if

what is special about the MSSQL2K servers? do you have a lot of stored
procedures in it? stuff like that?

ever). Due to past experience that I won't get into, we (the Development group) have all agreed that ASP.Net is out (at least for the short term).

if the MSSQL servers are so important/complex/big/etc then maybe ASP.not
is the right way to go? given that moving 'everything' from
client-server to web-baseed interfaces isn't really a short-term
operation. (assuming some level of complexity in the existing software.)

We had the opportunity to visit a local enterprise that has deployed ColdFusion, and they couldn't stop singing its praises. I'm partial to PHP, even after sampling Coldfusion, so what I would like is some "ammunition" that I can take into a meeting to "sell" management on PHP instead of ColdFusion. I've already been harping on the difference in cost, so I'm looking for other points to go with. Besides, we'll probably invest in Zend products if we choose PHP, and Macromedia has

like marcromedia tools are required to run CF, they 'tie you in' to
the technology. buying Zend products is optional, if the Zend IDE is judge to
be a moneysaving tool for working with PHP then you buy it. But you
don't have to. the essential tools are with out cost and open to inspection
and modification. Purchasing Zend Accelerator/Encoder maybe a good move
for you company but again its not a requirement.

from a strategic point of view it might also not be wise to make a
substanstial investment in technology from a company thats just been
bought out by the competion (adobe)?

government rates available; I don't have any numbers (yet), but the cost difference may not be that great in the end.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Opinions are welcome (especially from programmers with experience in both), but I have to "sell" it to management (I'm already on the PHP side), so links to data or articles comparing the two are best.

Thanks in advance,
Rick