Re: PHP build --with-pear fails: conflict over /tmp/pear/cache

Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well I compiled PHP with the following ./configure options:
> (I'm the only user on my system - 'keith' or 'root')
[...]
> So I now have PEAR in /usr/local/PEAR. Reason for doing this
[...]
> I generally run PEAR as root user anyway, so maybe that's
> why I have not encountered the /tmp/pear/cache writeable
> problem you mention. What about creating a seperate group
> for the /tmp/pear/cache, and adding your normal users to it,
> so they have write access to that dir?

I think you misunderstood the problem.  I am the sysadmin, so I can do
things as root if I want to.  I deliberately do builds as myself on
some systems specifically *because* I do not want those builds to have
permissions to clobber stuff used by the system.

The problem is that if PEAR is *already* installed and in use, there
appears to be no way to do a *different* build without interfering
with the one that's already installed and in use.

My workaround let me make a new build and make an RPM out of it,
but it is not elegant.  There seems to be a bug in PEAR here and
I haven't yet found a real solution to it.

However, this would not affect you in any way if you just have on
PHP+PEAR build per system, and upgraded it in-place by just building
and installing a new one over it.  It would only affect you if you
wanted to build a new version or configuration of PHP+PEAR on a system
that already has PEAR installed on it, without altering or interfering
with the currently installed build.
  -- Cos