Re: PHP build --with-pear fails: conflict over /tmp/pear/cache

Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Ofer Inbar <cos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >   Installing PEAR environment:      /hlg/rpmbuild/buildroot/php-5.2.5-1-
> >   manual/usr/local/lib/php/download directory "/tmp/pear/cache" is not
> >   writeable.  Change download_dir config variable to a writeable dir
>
>     The quickest and easiest way, though it doesn't answer your other
> questions, is to create the directory and make it writable, of course.

True.  On the systems in question, /tmp/pear/cache *does* exist, is
owned by root, and is in active use.  My local build should not tamper
with it, so in this case the permission denied is a feature, not a bug:
I'm running the local build as an unprivileged user specifically to
prevent it from accidentally clobbering stuff in use by the system.

Later, when the RPM is ready and I can schedule an upgrade, I can
install it and allow it to overwrite the existing system install.
(which comes from an RPM I build several months ago the same way)

The right solution would be to have it use a relative path off the
build directory, but I don't know enough to know why it doesn't do
that.  I also think it must've done that in the past, or I would've
run into this problem in past builds (since we always do --with-pear).

Thanks!  Now what list should I jump to next? :)
  -- Cos