Re: PHP build --with-pear fails: conflict over /tmp/pear/cache

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Ofer Inbar wrote:

To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ofer Inbar <cos@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  PHP build --with-pear fails: conflict over
    /tmp/pear/cache

Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Ofer Inbar <cos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Installing PEAR environment:      /hlg/rpmbuild/buildroot/php-5.2.5-1-
  manual/usr/local/lib/php/download directory "/tmp/pear/cache" is not
  writeable.  Change download_dir config variable to a writeable dir

    The quickest and easiest way, though it doesn't answer your other
questions, is to create the directory and make it writable, of course.

True.  On the systems in question, /tmp/pear/cache *does* exist, is
owned by root, and is in active use.  My local build should not tamper
with it, so in this case the permission denied is a feature, not a bug:
I'm running the local build as an unprivileged user specifically to
prevent it from accidentally clobbering stuff in use by the system.

Later, when the RPM is ready and I can schedule an upgrade, I can
install it and allow it to overwrite the existing system install.
(which comes from an RPM I build several months ago the same way)

The right solution would be to have it use a relative path off the
build directory, but I don't know enough to know why it doesn't do
that.  I also think it must've done that in the past, or I would've
run into this problem in past builds (since we always do --with-pear).

Thanks!  Now what list should I jump to next? :)
 -- Cos

What about trying --with-pear=/another/directory or --without-pear?

Once PEAR is installed, it is able to upgrade itself, so you don't need to touch it after that. It only needs installing once.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net