Re: PHP build --with-pear fails: conflict over /tmp/pear/cache

Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What about trying --with-pear=/another/directory or
> --without-pear?
>
> Once PEAR is installed, it is able to upgrade itself, so you don't
> need to touch it after that. It only needs installing once.

I may be wrong about this, but doesn't --with-pear=/other/dir cause it
to use that other directory forever?  That is, wouldn't that replace
/tmp/pear permanently for that build, so that it never uses /tmp/pear?

That would be undesirable for two reasons:
1. I don't want to use a nonstandard directory, it makes things confusing
2. I would have to change the name every time I did a new build, because
   reusing the same name I used last time would conflict with the previous
   build which would be installed and in use by then.

If I'm wrong, then this would solve the problem.  But I won't know if
I'm wrong or right until after I install the resulting RPM.

Building with --without-pear might be one workaround.  However, I need
a build procedure that is repeatable and noninteractive and does result
in PHP *with* pear.  The postinstall script has a bunch of pear commands
to complete our configuration, so pear must be installed at some point
in the RPM script.

I haven't yet tried doing it as a separate step because I don't think
it would solve the problem.  Wouldn't it run the same pear build, and
thus still try to use the same directory?

What is the mechanism by which pear's initial install gets the
temporary build directory location to use during build *only*?
I thought it got passed from a variable in PHP's Makefile, which would
explain why this worked for me in the past.
  -- Cos