Re: file numbering systems

So the question is, what kind of searchable file numbering system do y’all use? I use a non-repeatable system which includes the year, month and day plus roll number as in 130621-24

Is there anything better?

Thinking about searching for images

File naming can be justy as cryptic with names as easily forgotten as leaving the file numbers as they are from the camera - grouping things pretty loosely by month or year with subcategories next in the hierarchy often works well for our human minds , again loosely often works better than strict naming. Adding relevant information to the metadata which can be searched by any file searching tool can speed things up, but it's a slow process to add it in the first place.

Making contact sheets of all the good stuff and sticking them in a file has always worked well . I let Irfanview do that for me while it's thumbnailing pics and moving them when I ran one of my BAT's. Humans generally locate things easier when they can *look* for them rather than having to remember precisely where they are before they go looking - I'm thinking of my shed at the moment, I have a rough system for storing things, but it's invariably easier to open a box and peer in..

http://www.imgseek.net/ is a nice tool I refered to a long time ago - (windows only afaik) and while content based image searching is still progressing, it's pretty functional right now if I have a particular picture in mind and want it found. Heck, this is what computers are supposed to do.. I tell it to find me something, it goes and does the work. The last thing I need is to have it behave like an autistic where I have to name everything just right and remember where I put pics/files/information and then go find it in the folder structure!

More on vision, memory and 'seeing' - I'd love to have you all go off and read Peter Watts book 'Blindsight' before reading the following links, but my chances of that are zip. the reason for the recommendation? Peter writes science fiction books that sit on the bleeding edge .. they aren't techno jargon goobledegook books, like all the best science fiction writers (Alfred Bester) tech is secondary - it's about people. (OK, there's lots of bleeding edge hard core science in there too, but he doesn't blather on about fictional ray guns or pretend physics and he reintroduces an old fictional character in the most remarkable way ) I'm refering to Blindsight as a lot of the stuff Peter wrote of in 2011 is only just now being 'discovered' - his writing is dark, unforgiving and paints humans in a pretty bleak light but by tearing away the layers he reveals stuff about the way we think .. and what's relevant to this, the way we perceive, see, think and interpret. he understands that sight has so little to do with the eye and so much to do with the various brains that inhabit our head. (yes, we have more than one brain in there folks!)

please, if you have time go read his books. They are not pleasant, they will torture you, but they are worth it for what you will learn. (if you've the time, read The Rifters series before blindsight)

so the link - it's a cracked article about optical illusions with the usual language warning.. with a couple of pretty new discoveries about 'sight' (and stuff you'd lave learned about 2 years back had you read Blindsight ;) http://www.cracked.com/article_20432_5-illusions-that-prove-your-sense-reality-full-s232125.html and page 2:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20432_5-illusions-that-prove-your-sense-reality-full-s232125_p2.html

and since I've given myself a license to blather on about perception again, here's an interesting article about chickens: http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/1850570/report-newly-hatched-chickens-much-smarter-than-3-year-old-human-babies and how day old chickens can recognise FIVE items! heck, we humans can only manage 4. .. Iif you hurl down items that land unpatterned, we can instantly recognise 1,2,3 or 4 items. More than that and a normal human brain become confused - our brains don't manage more than 4 - so wow, 25% better than us at 1 day old!

Back to file searching. Our brains don't handle 'system' and 'order' as well as we think they do. contact sheets in folders work nicely though

k's 2c on this icy winters morning in west oz