Re: file numbering systems

Once the files are imported from the card into a folder inside a folder on my Desktop they are renamed with a prefix which includes the camera model and the 3-digit prefix for which 100 they are in the camera.

They are then edited in Bridge, processed in the RAW converter and the keepers are saved from the converter as tiffs in another folder, each image filename prefixed by my initials and the copyright symbol.

Back in Bridge, the keepers have all their metadata inserted in the largest groups possible thru the File>File Info keyboard command.

From there they are jpegged in groups by Actions which I created many years ago now in PS - one for verts and one for horizonts. The jpegs are stored in a folder on my HD with an extensive hierarchy by subject.

When the desktop folders containing the originals and the keepers are full enough to burn to DVD, the files are burned twice, once for off site storage. Before storing the DVDs they are catalogued by a Mac application called NeoFinder which allows me to locate any file by any word or text string embedded in the file. NeoFinder displays the object of the search both visually and with full metadata, as well as pointing to the specific medium upon which the file can be found.

Before discarding the keepers they are copied to a premanently attached external drive with a folder hierarchy which mirrors the jpg one where the computer OS permits a considerably less user-friendly search of connected drives.

In addition, I run TimeMachine, a Mac application which catalogs changes to specified drives hourly and allows access to the results for as much time as the size of the TimeMachine drive contains. Most TimeMachine users buy a small external drive exclusively for that application about twice the size of the HD. Recovery of accidentally discarded files is simple thru the app.

Even more compulsive computer users maintain a bootable backup drive off site as well. I'm a little lax on that. I get around to it maybe once a year.

I have rarely searched for a file by its filename. Usually the only time I need to do that is when a client requests a file by filename. Otherwise I either search by keyword thru the Mac OS, NeoFinder or the search function accessible thru Bridge.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx