Re: PF members exhibit on 06-15-13

I usually avoid commenting on the weekly gallery, but I really feel like talking about photographs which, for a while, has not been happening here.

On Jun 15, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:

> Happy Father's Day!
>
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated June 15, 2013. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

>              Emily Ferguson - early summer harbor fog
I feel the admirable intention here, but in this case it reminds me of the phrase " .  . a night in which all cows are black."  Maybe that's the point, but . . .

>              Andrew Sharpe -
The grain pattern is very interesting on these old, dried tree remains.  And some of the fragments suggest various animal shapes.  My only problem (remember, it's MY problem) is there seems to be too much sharpening (no pun intended).

>              Rand Flory -
Nice cloud structure and overall composition.  But here again the distant mountains look like wallpaper, to me, due to crispness.  I wonder if the color cast is true.

>              David Dyer-Bennet -
Ah.  Sweet.  Very nice closeup of those bells with the curled edges.  The leaf sticking up on the right is a slight distraction, but those little white flowers quickly pul me back.

>              Bob McCulloch - Lobster Shack
Nice shack picture, but I wonder if the colors were really that muted.

>              John Palcewski - Snack
Good setup between the couple in the window and the lady holding the device (cell phone?)  Just a few feet of space between them, but they're in totally different universes.  The characters in the background, and the reflection of the umbrellas and the building across the street add just enough interest before becoming too busy.

> 	             Randy Little - Baroque Dog
What's the connection between the title and the image? -- but that's not really important.  I also don't understand the composition, however.  The dog is interesting -- and interested.  So that's something to shoot, perhaps.

>              Arwinder Singh Bhurji - Hyper focal bubbles
Very interesting, somewhat of an abstraction in that we can't really tell what we're seeing.  My guess is it's a view straight down a glass into a bubbly drink, with the surface of each bubble acting as a convex mirror so that each bubble shows the camera taking the picture above the glass.  But the comments are totally incomprehensible to me after the third sentence of the long paragraph.

Until we meet again,
  -yoram

___
ygelmanphoto@xxxxxxxxx