Re: Dust on Digital Sensors

On 2012-09-25 17:38, Jan Faul wrote:

Most photographers I know sear at wet-mounting not by it. I know ten
guys I could call up and offer to buy their Creo wet-mounting stations
for $10 and they would be happy to sell them. Wet-mounting is a
necessity on a drum, but not a flat bed. And if you’re trying to scan 30
negs, say hello to  a lot of extra work on the front end.

It's clearly a lot of extra trouble, even just reading about it (so far I have been resisting, precisely because of the extra work). But I think using modern wet-mount in a modern scanner is easier than using old-style on a drum machine.

However, both Ctein's experiments and the examples at Scan Science appear to show it makes a *huge* difference in what you can get in the scan. Ctein does use it pretty routinely when scanning for portfolio prints or client work (but the scanning is a rather small part of the time he spends on one print).

I'm afraid to try it because I'm afraid I'll find it makes as much difference as my info seems to say it does, and still be as much trouble as you say it is!

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info