fishing for compliments

I have a bunch of student work up at www.herschelmair.com/students.

I need some international feedback to show to the college board. I'd appreciate a brief email with any comments... Especially if you're an academic!(I know you'll adore the work :-))

We teach a mostly vocational, 2-year course, including a half-year on video, to prepare students for a career in commercial and industrial photography.

These students have no personal interest in Photography. They have been "Streamed" into the subject by a complicated "Alogorithm" used by the ministry to put students into what they figure is the best career.

If you get "A" for math and physics you get sent to Engineering. Art is not taught at high school here and I have no idea how they figure that someone is vocationally suited to photography.... Come the beginning of the year, I get a list of names and I pray that they'll all have a little English ability.

Students have no choice because it's free... in fact the students are paid a stipend while they study.

These guys and girls have previously never touched a camera and have no family photographs on the walls at home. No albums. No cameras except on mobile phones and everyone has a few of those.

There are no real portrait studios here except for the ones that do passport and ID photographs. The only photograph you see around is of His Majesty, Sultan Qaboos. These are in every shop and every office. He is justifiably loved by one and all.

There are no photo galleries in the country and art is good if it's pretty. Especially if it shows the rugged beauty of the country.
Many still regard photography as haram (Sinful)
Please take a look and drop me a letter if you have time

All the best

Herschel

Jim Thyer wrote:

Easy to tell Andy is away , he would have put his foot down promptly on these Apple/IBM and Canon/Nikon arguments.

They all work,

GET BACK TO PHOTOGRAPHY.

Jim Thyer