Re: Fwd: Re: Help me, help my son (timing of new laptop purchase)

herschel writes

I know that for Mac worshipers you can say nothing bad about anything
with an Apple on it... but!

I have used Macs for a long time. Back when they were American machines
and as robust as a rock. My G5 power PC tower is great and I still use
it... except none of the new software works on it. It's been left behind
in the dust.

I run a school with a 40-computer inventory of Chinese-made Macs...
iMacs, Macbooks etc. We have 25 iMacs in the lab and there are always at
least 4 in the shop getting stuff fixed. Drives that die... chips that
overheat, displays that pop up green or don't come up at all, filing
systems that get corrupted... It's a nightmare! I have never had so much
student work lost.

They are troublesome, unreliable and have forced me to think seriously
about changing to windows for the first time in 15 years.

But hey... they sure look good and are incredibly trendy and well branded.

I have a friend who works in a mixed PC/Apple architect firm who monthly
sends me his tirades about how massive the apple patch downloads are
compared to windows - he's gone from fan to no fan at all ..

One of the most annoying things Mac users found about using windows
machines IMO, is those troublesome, cryptic messages that pop up when
things go wrong - for someone who takes a little time to jot those details
down and go hunting, the solutions can make a windows machine rock steady.

The other thing is the confusing array of choices available - due in whole
to the former 'Evil Empire' of IBM who in a fit of decency made it possible
for other players to emulate their hardware, thus spawning a bajillion
clones to the market.  Had IBM kept things locked up, as well they could
have, there would probably only be IBM's and Apples today.

Now the original concept of the IBM machines as far as history tells me,
and one that continues to this day is that machines were/are designed to be
built for specific purposes, so you have available whole load of components
which you bung together to make up a box that does what you need .. and you
kinda need to know what it is you need before you start.

This means buying a swish looking Dell in a computer shop isn't going to
work really well for say file serving if the machine isn't built to do the
job.  Most of those things in the PC store are built to satisfy the needs
of the *maximum* number of buyers for specific purposes - home office,
general cheap get-me-on-the-web boxes, kiddie gamerz etc..  you wont find
any over the shelf PCs that are purely dedicated to video editing for
example, you may find a few that will 'do the job' - but that's a bit weak.

Want a PC that consumes less than 15 watts (!!) - then you'll be reaching
for a VIA EPIA motherboard the size of a CD case with a SSD hard drive..
need FireNet networking? bang in a few firewire cards .. whatever, there
are components beyond counting suitable for an optimised machine specific
to your task.

The problem here is, what operating system could possibly work with the
myriad components available?  That is where Windows comes out king (and to
a lesser extent due to the work of dedicated individuals and groups world
wide, the various Linux distros).  Yes drivers will cause issues from time
to time, but that is a price you pay using computers - I have at least a
dozen or two peripherals which will not work on any Mac no mater how glossy
or pretty it looks - the manufacturers built these devices and only ever
released windows drivers. (thus, Apples would have 'driver issues' with
these things too)

The purpose of my computing is to undertake various tasks, and these
peripherals are the best available for those tasks, and the computing
machines are secondary.  If the Windows OS dropped support for them, then
fine, I stick with an older Windows OS which, fortunately, I can load
easily on modern hardware.  I keep citing my wonderful A3 pulsed xenon 3
colour scanner as used by NASA and National Geographic.  there's no way I
would simply discard the beast 'coz it's pretty much the best ever made,
yet driver wise it's stuck in the 1990's ;)

Another issue I have is that buying PC parts I know what is going on in my
machine - Apple sources their hardware from others and may mix and match as
they see fit.  This becomes a problem some times - the digital lab at the
college I worked at had rows of macs for digital photography .. with
LCD's - and even the mac dedicated staff simply could not get continuity or
conformity in the colours on those screens - the simple reason is that the
screens were made by a number of different vendors - Apple sourced from 12
different LCD makers at that time so I was informed.   How could one
justify using such screens that varied so much?  In a Windows environment,
if I chose to buy a whole crate of Panasonic monitors, I'd get a whole
crate of Panasonic monitors, and I could calibrate them to look and behave
the same way.

And hard drives - my lord, apple have bought some total dog drives over the
years..

Now Apple is using Intel processors and such, the difference has narrowed -
(and mac enthusiasts are seeing some real speed, so I'm told) and software
which was once slow on PC's because it was never optimised for the Intel
architecture has been.  But prices are still astonishingly high for Apple
components which are to all intents and purposes the same as the 'Windows'
components..

And Apple users who really want the best possible on-screen image possible
for their photographic work may now once again stick Matrox cards in there
machines..

Apple has some stylish products, I'll grant that.  And some pretty
interface options (all my 'pretty settings' have been turned off from day
one on my machines )  So I tend to view the Apples as I do a Mont Blanc
fountain pen, very pretty, premium price .. but still a fountain pen.

Yes, using windows means I have to do a lot of reading, asking questions,
experimenting and learning, but I see that as just part of owning one of
the most complex devices known to man.  Sometimes we forget that.. Before
computers, a carburettor, camera, radio or TV were probably the most
complex things we ever owned - and for most we found ourselves utterly
helpless when they ceased functioning.  There were always those who
nonetheless spent time learning how these things worked and how to fix
them.. they just weren't the majority.

Me? I'll buy a good nib and jam it in a comfortable pen to make the best
pen I can for me - it's not just because I'm 'cheap', it's because I can
make a better pen than any I could buy over the counter that way., that's
kinda how I do things.. and Windows is kinda like that for me.

karl