Fwd: Re: Help me, help my son (timing of new laptop purchase)

 >> My son ... grew up in our Mac household, but his
 best friend is a Windows bigot. My son has a dual G5 tower at home with me
 and an aging "mirrored doors" G4 dual processor machine at his mom's house.

 Any/all opinions welcome, either on or off-list.

 Jim Robertson

	Have him use his educational discount and get the white Macbook.
I've had mine just over a month and love it. I've kept my three-year-old black Macbook for backup and I have a 20 inch iMac, but I'm spending most of my time (including now) on the MacBook.

I ordered it online from Apple and upped it to 4 gig RAM and 320 gig HD and that still came to just over $1000. It is fast, very fast, and I love the new multi-touch trackpad. I rarely take my bluetooth mouse with me when I use it. The battery life is long and I usually don't take the power adapter with me if I'm going to use it in some coffee house or bookstore as I don't need it. The screen in very bright, even dimmed four steps to conserve battery life and tests by Macworld indicate it is as fast or faster than the lowest priced MacBook Pro. The graphics chip is also much better than in my prior Macbook. Editing in iMovie, for example, is very fast and efficient and I don't hear the fans blazing the way they did on any graphics-intensive work on the old Macbook. It's also very light weight and does not - contrary to some early reports - seem prone to scratches.

It would also allow your son to install - if he had to - Windows and be able to outperform his "Windows bigot" best friend's computer.

Gary

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx