Re: Help me, help my son (timing of new laptop purchase)

At 7:43 PM +0300 1/11/10, Trevor Cunningham wrote:
No doubt there are advantages to Macs. They manage to produce a product that is absolutely mindless to use out of the box (the second reason after cost that schools like them) and serve as a wonderful starter computer for youngsters and those less than confident about how all those "thingies" work. However, I know when it comes time for my son to learn how to actually use a computer, rather than just toy around with one, Mac OS will definitely be set aside and I'll opt for Linux...once he figures that out, I'll let him decide how to waste his money on proprietary software.

Why?  Do you want him to become an IT technician?

Sure, and intelligent computer using consumer might benefit from knowing a bit about how to do regular caretaking on their equipment, as well as how to evaluate when it's time to upgrade and what the appropriate level of upgrade might be and what the implications of that will be for their pocketbook.

But I can't imagine any real reason that anyone needs to know how to "actually use a computer" unless they're going to become an engineer or IT technician.

Sorry. Computers are for making it less difficult to do the stuff that matters. and "actually use(ing) a computer" is not what matters to 99% of the people who use computers.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx