Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame war)

On Sat, October 11, 2008 16:37, Robert Earnest wrote:

> Now, to address another matter, there is always someone on the set that
> has
> better gear than you do. That is because they listened to their parents
> and
> went for a career in a field that allows them to afford good camera
> equipment. Most photographers can't afford to always have the latest and
> greatest. Maybe in the beginning when you have no kids, no mortgage and no
> bills but as soon as you grow up, you will be shooting with whatever was
> the
> best you could afford when you were a kid. It doesn't matter. If you
> really
> really need something, you will eventually get it. (not before losing
> Aston
> Martin as a client though.)

I'm one of the huge batch of software engineers with expensive photo
equipment.  We got into digital early because it wasn't scary (in my case
I was already scanning film and doing digital printing in the mid 1990s),
and had the money to get into DSLRs fairly early.  (In my case I got my
first SLR with the first few paychecks from my first software job, when I
was 15, in 1969).

Most of us don't have the *top* equipment though; I don't know any D3 or
1DsIII users, lots of the cheaper ones, one Canon 5D, and I just bought a
D700 (a significant stretch; I couldn't consider a D3).  And *none* of us
have medium-format digital gear.  Well, one, but she (Sarah Thompson) is a
real artistic photographer who still works in software, not so much a
hobbyist like me.

Dentists, now, dentists tend to have a lot of expensive camera equipment.

> It should be mentioned that marrying well is an effective option...

My wife is a writer, that approach seems to be working pretty well for her
:-).

> One last thing. I could have shot probably 90% of everything I ever shot
> in
> my career with a 35mm, 85mm and a 180mm lens on a 35mm camera or its
> equivalent in your chosen format.
> I would however choose a 24mm lens over the 35mm lens (my all time
> favorite)
> because you can crop to 35mm with it. Now we are at 93%.

Could you have a successful career in your area *without* doing the 10% of
the shots that need something more exotic, though?

I very likely did 90% of my shots with my Leica when I had that and a
Pentax Spotmatic, and I had 35, 50, and 90mm Summicrons for the Leica, not
even a 135.

I just dropped back to having nothing wider than a 24mm for the first time
in 14 years.  So far, certainly not a problem.   (Went from DX back to
full-frame, which I had never expected to do.  For me it's the low-light
ability that drives it.  I'm very amused that the big casualty of moving
back to full-frame is a *loss* of wideangle capability; I sold 17mm and
20mm primes when I got the 12-24/4 Tokina for my Dx.) (Well, I've got an
8mm fisheye, but that's not *wide*, it's *round*.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info