Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame war)

Robert writes:

> you had better be shooting Digital. The entire process is geared to and
> streamlined for digital files.
>
> AND! You had better be delivering digital files of a very high quality.
>
> In other words, if you intend to make a living with photography in the
> markets that I work in (Advertising and Commercial with a smattering of
> Corporate) FILM IS DEAD. FUGGETABOUTIT! END OF DISCUSSION. PERIOD. STFU.

Mark writes:
I hardly think film is a thing of the past.  If you want to work in some areas it might cause some issues, but frankly I haven't seen anyone able to get the true blacks of a black and white wet print using any digital system.  If they do, I have time to prove the prints will a wet black and white print can last a very very long time.

Well now, here we have a situation.

Robert is dead right re the ad industry, offering a good insight based on a wealth of experience.  After all they're using the photographs for press, TV and web - all of which benefit by all steps of the image processing being entirely digital, - film causes constipation.

And Mark might find himself at home in a museum or art gallery, where a lot of stuff that comes in digitally is converted to film/print and vice versa - the film/prints being archived and the digital material being made available for general access.

The wedding photographer may benefit from both digital and film (or not, depending on the customer) There's a good market for promoting yourself as a film shooter - people don't lose CD's as easily as printed albums.

Photojournalists - hell, a phonecam must be good enough for a lot of what I see printed these days

Art photographer - who knows?  Artists are a pretty whacked group of people .. when digital was new and special a lot were flogging the 'innovative' .. 'groundbreaking' horse / now it's mainstream they push the specialness of silver/gelatin or whatever.

Mums & dads scared by digital fnd comfort in print film, others like being able to shoot gazillions of 12Mp blurry pics of young Narelle smeared in tomato sauce and it upsets them a bit when they accidentally format the drive they were stored on, but they're too busy shooting new stuff to worry for long.

if it's all about the image, who cares ?

If it's archivability NO one would have shot a single colour frame - everything would have been a sepia toned FB print(or RC depending on what your tests revealed ;)

is the music better heard live to the roar of the crowd, with ten thousand thundering fans stamping their feet, or jogging down the road with the headphones on the ipod?

I like my film .. and I like my digital

for different reasons