Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame war)

I recall being a guest speaker at one of the photo colleges in California
once and being asked, "what was your exposure on that shot?"
I was actually a bit dumbfounded. All I could say was "the right one?"

These days I shoot mostly with a Canon 1ds Mark II. (17 megapixel) When I
got it, it was the best 35mm dslr made. Canon now has a bigger one but I
will likely wait until something in the 30 megapixel range comes out.

As it is, I think the 1ds MarkII exceeds the quality of any 35mm film camera
primarily because there is no grain. Very large images of exceptional
quality can be attained. AND I don't have the speedbump of a drumscan in the
process.

During my transition from film to digital a few years back I shot a job in
San Francisco for Aston Martin on 35mm film. I processed the film and had
small FPO scans made. FPO means For Position Only and are intended to be
used for positioning in the layout only. After choices are finalized, drum
scans would be made of the selected films.

Apparently, Aston Martin was already accustomed to high quality digital
cameras being used in the first place and complained that the quality of the
files weren't up to their standards. Even though I tried to explain to them
that I would have extremely high quality scans made of the the images they
selected, it became apparent that this was already an expensive and
antiquated process that no one had time for. Indeed, there are art directors
these days that have never ever ordered a drum scan. I shot a job in Toronto
three or four years ago for Bud Light that was to be used for POP (Point of
Purchase) posters and collateral. I decided to take a 4x5 camera but in the
end rented a digital back for the Hasselblad that I also brought. No small
part of that decision was the fact that the assistants I hired had never
ever worked for anyone that shot film.

The moral of all this is. Unless you have some really really really
remarkable look or technique that absolutely requires that you shoot film,
you had better be shooting Digital. The entire process is geared to and
streamlined for digital files.

AND! You had better be delivering digital files of a very high quality.

In other words, if you intend to make a living with photography in the
markets that I work in (Advertising and Commercial with a smattering of
Corporate) FILM IS DEAD. FUGGETABOUTIT! END OF DISCUSSION. PERIOD. STFU.

Now, to address another matter, there is always someone on the set that has
better gear than you do. That is because they listened to their parents and
went for a career in a field that allows them to afford good camera
equipment. Most photographers can't afford to always have the latest and
greatest. Maybe in the beginning when you have no kids, no mortgage and no
bills but as soon as you grow up, you will be shooting with whatever was the
best you could afford when you were a kid. It doesn't matter. If you really
really need something, you will eventually get it. (not before losing Aston
Martin as a client though.)

It should be mentioned that marrying well is an effective option...

One last thing. I could have shot probably 90% of everything I ever shot in
my career with a 35mm, 85mm and a 180mm lens on a 35mm camera or its
equivalent in your chosen format.
I would however choose a 24mm lens over the 35mm lens (my all time favorite)
because you can crop to 35mm with it. Now we are at 93%.