 -- Philip Marlowe (Humphrey Bogart)

From: "Mark Blackwell" <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>

Ok I will throw out some stink bait. I am often amazed at how many people think that they MUST have the latest and greatest new equipment. They have great stuff but no idea of what to do with it. Others take junk and excel which begs the question, "Just how much of a part of the total success is the tool, and how much of it is the person running the tool?"

I use some old stuff. I have an old Voigtlander that was bought in the 50s that I still use. I have an old 4x5 view camera that is probably about that old. Both still work well, with some limitations.

I still have some old gear to:
Argus C-3 (Was my dad's, once in a while I put a roll in it.)
   Pentax H2a              (My 1st 35mm - and the most compact SLR I have.)
4 Pentax LX's (These used to get a lot of use, but much less now.)
   2 Pentax 67's           (Occasional weddings and scenics)
   2 Pentax 645's         (Occasional weddings)
   2 Military KE-12's   (Occasional archetecture and to play with)

   In additional to being very useful, they're also very collectable.

Lenses are another long term investment. Do you upgrade every time a new lens appears?

No! at over 40, I already have all the lenses I'll ever need. Occasionally I'll buy one simply
because it's a great lens that I don't have.

Who buys used lenses??

I do! Unless you own a camera brand that makes it's older lenses obsolete with their new mount designs a great classic lens is still a great lens. Almost all the lenses I own, I bought used and in addition to being classic, great performing lenses, they've increased in value.

How used??? grin

Pristine condition only.

Zoom or primes???

Mostly primes. I have only 4 zooms, none greater than 3:1 zoom ratio. One I bought solely because of it's "uniqueness". smc PENTAX REFLEX ZOOM 1:8~12 400~600! That's right,
a mirror zoom!

Oh the choices.

Digital with its short life expectancy is a much tougher choice. It's not a mature industry, at least not yet but it seems to be getting closer. Not that long ago for what you would spend for a 5D you could get the D30 that was a 3.3 MP and the state of the art. Each new model does bring improvements, but when is the improvement enough to justify the new investment? It's not like the old one quits working. All tough decisions.

I have two Pentax K20D's. I don't expect them to be "classics" like the other bodies I own. In 10 years, using one of these may be like using a Commodore 64 today! FYI, I buy only full frame lenses. A "standard" sensor size has yet to be worked out, and I'm not about to be
caught with obsolete lenses if the sensor's physical size increases.

Its all part of the overall product. IF money is no object, you always get new stuff. Still that rarely is the case. So it brings us back to how much of a great photo is tool, and how much is between the ears of the person running it?

Since many of the great photos revered to this day were made using what's now "obsolete" equipment, and Since most cheap "consumer grade" cameras today are better performers than those of, say, WWII vintage that produces classic, stirring works of art, I'd say it's
entirely the person running it.

Having better or newer pots and pans does nothing make you a better cook.
Having a better or newer hammer does nothing make you a better carpenter.
Having a better or newer car does not make you a better driver.
Having a higher or newer degree does not make you wiser.
Having better or newer brushes does not make you a better artist.
etc., etc. etc.

The better, newer equipment can, however, aid you in turning out, with prolific fortitude, a much higher volume of sharp, well exposed crap.