Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame wars)

On Sat, October 11, 2008 16:54, Bob Blakely wrote:

> Having better or newer pots and pans does nothing make you a better cook.

"Better" certainly does; it's easier to not burn things for example with a
good pan.  "Fancier" doesn't help of course.

> Having a better or newer hammer does nothing make you a better carpenter.

Having a framing hammer makes it easier to pound in all those nails in
framing, though.

> Having a better or newer car does not make you a better driver.

But it can let me escape from dangerous scenarios I couldn't drive my way
out of in a lesser vehicle.  (Certainly it can also tempt me *into* those
situations in the first place.)

> Having a higher or newer degree does not make you wiser.

Or smarter.  But it probably makes you more educated, which is what a
degree might really measure.

> Having better or newer brushes does not make you a better artist.
> etc., etc. etc.

Having worn-out brushes makes you a worse artist.

> The better, newer equipment can, however, aid you in turning out, with
> prolific fortitude, a much higher volume of sharp, well exposed crap.

It's amazing how rarely I see it used for that.  (I don't mean it's not
mostly crap; I mean the crap is mostly not sharp or well-exposed.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info