Re: DIY photo equipment

Mark:

> Well as a  guy that has an interest in tinkering, I have built a number of pieces of photo related projects.  I am interested in stuff others might have built that they put to use in photography.
>
> The surprising thing is that as often as not, I ended up learning something as a result of the building that I likely wouldn't have learned any other way.

I think Andy has the biggest collection of home built photo gadgets in the western world, but I've got a few..

*In cohoots with Steve Hodges we built a tailflash trigger which works on leaf shutters and *some* SLR curtain shutters

*a laser focussing aid for macro and large format photography (it can be used on any camera)

* a two / three beam pulsed infrared camera trigger - so say when the fly is precisely *here* in the frame (and 2 beams are broken) the camera goes off  or, when something cat height walks through this precise spot the camera fires, but not if something dog height walks through.  (I really should use this thing more too!)

*a couple of stereo rigs and stereo cameras

*an infrared ambient/spot light meter (the ambient part is useless, if the sun is up and there's no cloud in the sky, from sunup to sundown, summer/winter, the light level doesn't change a jot! - but at least I learned that :)

*flash triggers, flash saves.. lots of big, small, arrayed flash banks and ringflashes.

*more stuff that I can't think of, i'll remember what when I see it as I move stuff from the house to the new workshop in the following weeks ;)

what've you been building Mark?