Re: DIY photo equipment

Well I built a darkroom sink sized just for the space I had and adapted the plumbing to work with the washer and dryer in place.  Made some drying screens too.

I built a backdrop holder and dyed some cotton muslin black to serve as the drop.  I have a white one too.

I built some light stands for my studio lights that are ok.

Built a light table.

Many years ago before I had the strobes, I built a light system out of flourscent lights.  It worked, but not that well.

I also built some large fabric panels to soften the strobes.  Slow to set up and move, but it can create a VERY large light source and with a little planning I can create a light tent with the same technique.

It sounds like your stuff is far more complicated.