Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame wars)

In a message dated 11/10/2008 11:35:20 GMT Daylight Time, cameratraveler@xxxxxxx writes:
I agree that a good photographer can make a good picture with almost
any properly functioning piece of equipment.  That's because the most
important elements of a photograph aren't reliant on the gear one
uses--composition, content and the quality of the light.
At best this is a half truth.   I started with a Box Brownie. At the right time, on a good day, in the right place
I could take a properly exposed picture and provided my hand had not shaken with excitement during the 1/25th of a sec exposure I got an image fit to print - using a contact print and daylight exposure - assuming the conditions were right  when I put the printing frame on the window sill.

Many of the technical developments that have taken place since my early days have been made to remove the restrictions - flash powder , electrical and electronic flashguns, infra red film etc have made it possible to take photos in adverse lighting conditions, Variability of lenses and apertures have given the photographer the means of emphasising the principal feature of interest in the scene, miniaturisation has made it possible to get cameras in positions that were formerly impossible.

Politics has been described as the art of the possible, the same can be said of photography. Technology in all its forms is almost invariably neutral, the good or ill that stems from its use or abuse is the responsibility of the operator

Michael