Re: Trying to resucitate old scanner

Laurenz Bobke writes:

: I think I'll give it a try - I still have my old PC, but scanning slides
: with good resolution never was "fun" on this single core 3.5 GHz Machine.

I used SCSI rather than USB when it was available on the scanner - the transfer speed was a massive improvement, though my tests scanning using a P3 500, P3 750, AMD 1800, AMD 2400 & AMD 2800 I saw no difference in scan speeds with these machines, nor a difference between win98 and win 2000.  Oddly though an old P2 350 had a slight edge on all the above (!) Old machines really can be useful when the OS is slimmed down and they're not cluttered with rubbish :)

especially if dedicated to a few tasks - like a simple fileserver.

: The new PC is much stronger (4 GB RAM...) and I would not have to transfer
: files all the time.

there's a distinct advantage in that!  However you can use something like Synchbak* - as Vuescan is saving them to the scanning machines hard drive (which can become your backup folder), the files can be delivered automatically to a folder on your new machine ready for processing

* freeware and highly adaptable http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html )

: Now, the main decision is whether to immediately buy the pro edition or play
: it safe and first buy standard and upgrade to pro if everything works as
: expected.

my guess is you'll become a devotee in no time and will be happy at having bought the pro version.  And lifetime upgrades are free !

: How big is the difference between the two versions anyway? Is the "raw" file
: I can generate much superior to a tif?

RAW has all the advantages it has in a camera version.. and no one shoots TIF these days when they can shoot raw ;)

However white balance is not a prob with shooting slides, nor should it be when scanning, but even Vuescans negative masks can do with the odd tweak.  ICC is not a big issue for me (I don't wear a graphic artists hat when being a photographer)

: I know the importance of shooting raw  with a camera, but it would appear to
: me that conditions are much more controlled when scanning (for example white
: balance should not be a problem?) and all in all I just want to replicate
: most of the slides I've taken and not be overly creative now.
: After all I wouldn't scan the non-keepers in the first place...

again, the free upgrades make this worthwhile.. though I'm happy using the old version I have, I'd only want to upgrade for some new feature of to add support to a new scanner or camera

did I mention it also can be used to fiddle with camera RAWs ? :)
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#rawfiles

karl