Re: Trying to resucitate old scanner

White balance is always an issue in any type of photography.  When scanning its just as much of an issue as any other type, its just handled differently.  When you use raw, it can be dealt with in post processing.  With film its done with filters and different films.  Scanning it can be a combination.  The closer you get at capture, the less work you have to do later.

The Raw file is a big advantage.  Once heard a well known speaker (I think it was Scott Kelby) that said that in Raw only ASA and bad photography can not be adjusted in photoshop.  Everything else is adjustable.

What I find with scanning is two different problems.  One is a scan for an archive for which I have no idea of how an image might be used later.  Another is one where the scan is done for the purpose of a specific image.  The later is much easier.