Trying to resucitate old scanner

I'm trying to make Windows Vista (64 Bit!) cooperate with my Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV scanner.
All attempts to do this with the driver CD failed. Updating to a newer driver is no option: Minolta has sold the complete photo business and Sony obviously is not interested in supporting old Minolta products.
I succeded in getting a few test scans done using the trial version of Vuescan, but the programme crashed a couple of times, so I'm somewhat reluctant to actually buy it.
The trial version watermarks all scans, so it's not real fun to do scans that I'll have to throw away anyway.
What are other people's experiences here? Is Vuescan worth the money, are there any known problems (or even better: solutions) with Vista?
Do you know of any good alternatives (apart from buying a new scanner, of course).

Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/