Re: Trying to resucitate old scanner

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurenz Bobke" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:45 PM
Subject: Trying to resucitate old scanner

: I'm trying to make Windows Vista (64 Bit!) cooperate with my Minolta Dimage
: Scan Dual IV scanner.
: All attempts to do this with the driver CD failed. Updating to a newer
: driver is no option: Minolta has sold the complete photo business and Sony
: obviously is not interested in supporting old Minolta products.
: I succeded in getting a few test scans done using the trial version of
: Vuescan, but the programme crashed a couple of times, so I'm somewhat
: reluctant to actually buy it.
: The trial version watermarks all scans, so it's not real fun to do scans
: that I'll have to throw away anyway.
: What are other people's experiences here? Is Vuescan worth the money, are
: there any known problems (or even better: solutions) with Vista?
: Do you know of any good alternatives (apart from buying a new scanner, of
: course).

best bet is write to Hamrick himself, explain your problems and ask for his suggestions - he's very a very helpful person..

Vuescan is the ultimate scanning software and has been well worth the money for a lot of people

alternatively you may dedicate an old computer to scanning as many do and use a KVM to minimise its footprint on your desktop

karl