Re: Creative Commons, not Digital/Film costs

David writes:
: Oh, I know people are still pushing that line, but it's pretty outdated
: now so far as I can tell.  You pretty much can't *buy* CRTs (except for
: at really absurd prices -- and if you're up for the absurd prices, you
: can now buy LCDs that have a bigger color gamut than any CRT; in fact,
: that display a bit MORE than the full Adobe RGB space).  And they still
: take only 8-bit data.   (Some clever people set up to use LED
: illumination behind the LCD, and then used colored LEDs and matched the
: LCD filter frequencies to the LED output and ended up with huge gamut.
: NEC I know, possibly others use this too.)

SED monitors will be even better than CRT's when they come out - but they'll still only be fed 8 bit colour from a video card unless it's a Matrox.  10 bit colour is ten bit colour.  Irrespective of the gamut, 256 shades V 1024 shades, that's 4 times the gradient

Sure, for the average user it is considered no big deal.

It's a bit like the average music enthusiast doesn't see a difference between records and MP3s - especially when they have a nice thump from their subwoofers and it sounds good in their car (!)  An audio perfectionist easily perceives the difference through their high end audio gear.

Asks: 16 bit RAW, TIF or whatever - how do people manage them when they only see 8 bits?

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=9565
"In "official" oscilloscope tests conducted by some government labs here, Matrox is still #1, "

gotta get my hands on that white paper..

: And yeah, the most aggressive games cards do tend to trade off color
: fidelity for frame rate, probably a good choice for their intended
: market but a disaster for us.  Although I'm not sure if they do that
: when displaying simple bitmap data rather than rendering 3D on the card?

the tests still show a difference.

it has been made an outdated concept by the avalanche of lesser 2D card hype, but the difference is their for the eye to see.

karl