Re: Creative Commons, not Digital/Film costs

David writes:

: karl shah-jenner wrote:
: >   I'd reiterate that a $1000 2D video card is a very normal addition to a pro photographers computer.
:
: That one surprises me.  Because I've seen lots of people talking about
: their pro setups, and there's been a recent discussion of building your
: own computer over on the D1scussion mailing list (Nikon digital mailing
: list, heavily inhabited by pros), and *not one* person has suggested any
: such thing for a video card.

have a peek here: "A VIDEO CARD PRIMER "

http://photoweasel.diaryland.com/

:  Generally the advice is in the range of
: $300 -- the second-tier mainstream cards (since the extra cost for the
: top-tier mainstream cards is only relevant to game performance).

that bit is totally correct :)

And
: the two professional photographers whose system internals I know have no
: such thing, and never considered having any such thing.
:
: So if you know people who do use such a thing, then clearly some pros
: use such a thing; but I still think it's fairly rare, not normal, not
: widely considered necessary or even terribly beneficial.

it is rare, and the shame is people don't know the benefits

karl