Re: Creative Commons, not Digital/Film costs

karl shah-jenner wrote:
I'd reiterate that a $1000 2D video card is a very normal addition to a pro photographers computer.

That one surprises me. Because I've seen lots of people talking about their pro setups, and there's been a recent discussion of building your own computer over on the D1scussion mailing list (Nikon digital mailing list, heavily inhabited by pros), and *not one* person has suggested any such thing for a video card. Generally the advice is in the range of $300 -- the second-tier mainstream cards (since the extra cost for the top-tier mainstream cards is only relevant to game performance). And the two professional photographers whose system internals I know have no such thing, and never considered having any such thing.

So if you know people who do use such a thing, then clearly some pros use such a thing; but I still think it's fairly rare, not normal, not widely considered necessary or even terribly beneficial.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info