Re: Creative Commons, not Digital/Film costs

karl shah-jenner wrote:
David writes:

: karl shah-jenner wrote:
: > I'd reiterate that a $1000 2D video card is a very normal addition to a pro photographers computer. : : That one surprises me. Because I've seen lots of people talking about : their pro setups, and there's been a recent discussion of building your : own computer over on the D1scussion mailing list (Nikon digital mailing : list, heavily inhabited by pros), and *not one* person has suggested any : such thing for a video card.

have a peek here: "A VIDEO CARD PRIMER "

http://photoweasel.diaryland.com/

Oh, I know people are still pushing that line, but it's pretty outdated now so far as I can tell. You pretty much can't *buy* CRTs (except for at really absurd prices -- and if you're up for the absurd prices, you can now buy LCDs that have a bigger color gamut than any CRT; in fact, that display a bit MORE than the full Adobe RGB space). And they still take only 8-bit data. (Some clever people set up to use LED illumination behind the LCD, and then used colored LEDs and matched the LCD filter frequencies to the LED output and ended up with huge gamut. NEC I know, possibly others use this too.)

And yeah, the most aggressive games cards do tend to trade off color fidelity for frame rate, probably a good choice for their intended market but a disaster for us. Although I'm not sure if they do that when displaying simple bitmap data rather than rendering 3D on the card?

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info