Re: A more outrageous question

At 4:04 PM -0500 7/20/07, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Let's discuss Galen Rowell's "Cloudy Autumn Morning", which is on the Mountain Light web site at <http://www.mountainlight.com/AA-images/aa_1181_480.jpg>

Once upon a time Galen was considerably more minimalist than he seemed to become as he aged.

To me, this image is terribly overdone.

1. It's not an autumn morning to me, those clouds are pre-morning - they're sunrise, not morning.

2. It's not cloudy, either. There are clouds in the sky, but they're not cloudy.

3. There are so many points of focus in the image that one cannot figure out what to look at. Looking about one discovers:

   the moon
   the intense not-autumn, but spring colored flowers in the foreground
   the strong reflection
   the mountain range
   the three trees with their mirrored reflection
   the very sharp edges of the plants

4. The sun tipping the moutains tops is being supplemented with fill flash on the bushes in the foreground, so obviously that one can't miss it. Galen didn't usually do things that obviously and that can be controlled in Photoshop and should have been.

5. There is no focal point, another thing that Galen did not usually forget. The image is horizontally very layered - sky, mountains, water, bushes. When I did a weekend with Galen in 1994 he stressed leading the eye with S shaped lines from the viewer away.

Somebody else's turn now.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx