Re: A more outrageous question

Good question Michael.
Well I don't remember what I was thinking (Or IF I was thinking) when I made that picture But I do know that I generally have a million things going through my head when I'm looking through the camera at my subject.

I tell my students that I am not a great photographer but I am a pretty good technician and that has paid to put two children through university (One with a BA hons in photography BTW) it has taken me around the world more than once, bought two houses, cars and put food on the table for almost 30 years.

The whole purpose of my original post was not to discover whether the rule of thirds is valid or whether technology is necessary per se. I merely gave thirds as an example of a simple rule we all know.

The topic was whether rules, formulae, statistics and technical knowledge of all things photographic could ever, conceivably, get in the way of taking a great photograph.

" Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important". -Henri Cartier-Bresson