Re: A more outrageous question

Herschel Mair wrote:
The whole purpose of my original post was not to discover whether the rule of thirds is valid or whether technology is necessary per se. I merely gave thirds as an example of a simple rule we all know. The topic was whether rules, formulae, statistics and technical knowledge of all things photographic could ever, conceivably, get in the way of taking a great photograph.
So, maybe what we need is a batch of "great photographs" we all agree on, and then analyze how they do, or don't, conform to the various rules we agree are useful? Trouble is, people will be rejecting photos that don't conform to the rules if they think the rules are absolute, so consensus "great" will probably pre-determine the number (if there are actually any "rules absolutists" present; none has dared identify themselves so far).

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@xxxxxxxx; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery