RE: OT questions , was vista

I've stayed out of this so far, as I've always found these discussions
ultimately pointless.  It's easy to lose sight of the fact that the main
difference between Mac and PC is that one is a closed system and the other
is not (while Windows is an open system in one sense I realize it's NOT
"open source").  It's much, much harder to keep an open system secure and to
keep everything in sync when there are so many people writing software for
the system.  And as is often noted, people who are out to do harm would of
course choose to attack the system used by the great majority of computer
users.

Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't advantages to Mac, but it does
add perspective.  Problem is there are also distinct benefits from the open
source model.  I simply don't believe that Microsoft is either mindlessly
complacent or evil-minded and consider it silly to suggest they are.  It
must be an enormous task to align all the work done by so many in-house
programmers and get it all to work like it came from a single integrated
mind, especially when it has to interact with so many programs written
elsewhere.

Here's a link to a recent Salon article about why software is so hard to
write.  Maybe it will shed some light, maybe not:
http://www.salon.com/books/int/2007/02/03/leonard/

You might need to sign up for a "day pass" to access the article but you can
do it if you try!
eb