Re: OT questions , was vista

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob"

: There are other alternatives......  Red Hat, SuSE, and Mandrake to name
: a few.   MSis the big one because unsuspecting computer buyers get
: trapped since Windblows is packaged with thier computers.  Not vey long
: ago Wal*Mart was selling computers with Lindows installed.  Lindows was
: a Linux like OS .  MS took Lindows to court and LOST!  But I don't know
: if Lindows survuved the tactics of MS.......

I believe they changed their name to Linspire.  Nice concept too.  - as
Linux doesn't generally have installers the way windows does, users would
have to integrate any new software themselves which took a degree of
experience with the OS - Linspire got around this by having a 'live
install' routine whereby the user connected to the web, payed a fee and the
software was automatically integrated for them.  Very friendly.
Unfortunately it never took off as users didn't like this idea of paying
even a token fee for small programs - Linspire seemed to realise this was a
deterent to its popularity and I understand they eventually made the
service largely free

looking here: http://www.linspire.com/search_results.php?q=graphics I see
this still seems to be the case.

I tried Linspire once but again, there are too many windoze apps I rely on
to contemplate a full change to any flavour of Linux