Re: vista

Bill writes:

: I get around the pre-installed Windows issue that by assembling my own
PC. When I have to buy an off-the-shelf unit, the first thing I do is wipe
the hard drive, re-format it and install a clean install of W2K or XP.  All
the software I have works well with W2K, and it is just as stable or more
so than XP.

yup, win 98SE and win2k are great for me too! :)

I've never bought a new machine as they rarely include good 2D cards,
understandable since so few people would actually want a dedicated photo
editing machine ..and the gamerz are the driving force behind PC
development.

Building the many I have scattered around the house lets me tailor them
with stripped OS's, win98SE can boot in under 5 seconds and runs lightning
fast on new hardware!  There's also software that won't run under XP that I
need, and hardware - I have a stunning A3 film scanner  that can't be
driven on anything other than 98/NT.

It's not that I'm reluctant to accept change, I moved from 3.1 to 95 to 98
as quick as a flash - took me a number of years after 2k was introduced and
the bugs ironed out before I moved a few more machines to that OS, but XP
is to insideous - and vista .. (!!!)  not likely!

I'm certainly not looking forward to repairing Vista equipped PC's in the
future but then you never know - I have had three people this week who's
computers are to be stripped of XP and rolled back to earlier OS's as the
owners are entirely sick and tired of XP.