Re: vista

On Jan 30, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Greg Stempel wrote:

What amazes me, is that ALL computers retailed to consumers will be bundled with the new OS. How does windows do that?

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
www.fireframeimaging.com
www.soundexposure.org

Micro$oft has bundling agreements with all the major manufacturers. They get Windows at a steep discount, but have to pay for a copy of the OS for every PC computer they sell. That's why Micro$oft  has been able to continue their hold over the PC market. If you are making computers, and want to get the good rate for the OS software, then you sign the contract. And the contract says that you don't need to install the Windows OS on every system, but you have to pay for it for every system. So why would you not install it? For the consumer if your new computer comes with an OS pre-installed why would you pay for anything else?

I read somewhere that Micro$oft is making something like $30 a unit for the OS when it is pre-installed (home edition, or perhaps something earlier, I would presume), and OS sales still accounts for nearly 80% of their income with most coming from new computer installs.

Dave
macaddicted