Re: Questions for 2007

karl shah-jenner wrote:
written elsewhere on the web by 'Kosh':

I thought it might be interesting to see where an open discussionon the
photo industry might take us..... ( somehting different from standard
threads).

Mnay of you may have heard of the CEBIT Computer and Electronics fair in
germany. It is in danger of closing it's doors (

http://www.playfuls.com/news_05585_Declining_German_Computer_Fair_Cebit_See
ks_Rescue.html

one argument is that the Cumpter and Electronics industry is essentially
dead, it is now Consumer Electronics...... no longer driven by retailers,
but bypassing them entirely and marketing direct to the consumer. Not

only

the death of their input into the market (ie it is not who stocks say...
IBM, but which manufacturer markets themselves better), but also it means
the death of the speciality store... and hence no people who know what

the

h*ll they are talking about.... shrug of shoulders response to problems.

my question is...... do you think this has happened or is happening in
photographics?

the alchemy is gone.... and soon will be the day when an explanation of
shutter speed or depth of field will be lost at any sort of retail level.

love to hear peoples reactions to the question

karl
Perth, West Australia

As far as coputer stores go, there are three near my house that are the small specialty store type, one within walking distance if its not raining....  In all three people know what they're talking about when you ask a question.......   Then there is a Best Buy close and the type of answers you get from them.

Photographically speaking, I agree with you.   When I became interested in photography there was a number of stores that I could visit,
the kind where you could drop in with a pizza and a six pack of pepsi and talk photography or whatever,  and buy from.  One by one they disappeared for various reasons, some business and some personal.  Now there are two chain stores close to where I live, one based in Columbus, OH and the other more local.   The "local" chain has a "professional store" that is not very convenient in location but very well staffed with photographers that understand and are willing to explain to the neophite what happens when you 'take a picture'.

IMHO, one of the things that is hurting these smaller specialty stores is what you see when you walk into Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Costco, etc......  all of the digital cameras from many makers.  Many are point and shoot but some offer high end consumer cameras. ( Just today I got an internet ad from Costco.com that included a EOS 30D with 18-55 d and  a 75-300.)  When you go to these stores you find someone that might know a little but probably doesn't have a real knowledge or the  time to talk photography .

And then you run into the buying power of these 'big box stores'.   When Louie Local wants to run a small camera shop he has to compete with the  Best Buys, etc for good prices on gear.  Most manufacturers have a lower cost per item when you buy a thousand as opposed to buying five.

Unfortunately this isn't only in computers or cameras but in a lot of products.

Bob

--

                           /////
                          ( O O )