Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Questions for 2007

Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:

" . . . my question is...... do you think this has happened or is happening in photographics? The alchemy is gone.... and soon will be the day when an explanation of shutter speed or depth of field will be lost at any sort of retail level."
Where does the serious student interested in a particular subject start his or her study? With the history of that subject, and the more learned about the beginnings of a subject, the better the student will be at his profession or craft.

Math is how many years old? Papers with mathematical problems from 1650 B.C.E. have been found, yet, those interested in math ask the why, when, where and how and history of mathematics. The person selling math books doesn't necessarily know the answers to these questions, but they don't have to - it's up to the customer to find the experts and get the answers. The information will always be available.

There will always be those who want to know the where, when, why, how and history of photography. Photography may become a more specialized field just like mathematics is a specialized field, but math isn't going anywhere and neither is photography.

People will learn what they need to/want to learn. They only limit themselves by limiting their knowledge.

This seems like it would be a good thing for the serious photographer. Those who wish to pursue photography as a profession will learn what is needed to get the best photographs.

Just rambling.

Marilyn

I started asking questions where I bought my first camera...... Luckily I have a thick skin....... Then I found some classes at the local Community college. Eventually I found and joined a camera club that had regular competitions and judges that explained things very well. Along the way I discovered the history and was fascinated by it and learned more. If only I could remember the things that I
learned :-P

A lot of the basics have been taken over by technology. Cameras make decisions on speed and aperture, many still have M mode, I don't know how often it is used, and the computer programs can help you fix most anything. Now with digicams and their reusable media you can put your camera in machine gun mode and shoot hundreds af shots the pick out the keepers and format the media and start over. You don't have to remember anything about composition or perspective or exposure if you don't want to.....

Another "rambler"

Bob

--

                          /////