Re: Questions for 2007

----- Original Message -----
Compare this to literature where words often
change meaning across time, or have no meaning or little association to the
meaning you know when they are spoken in the same language but in a
different country. I read a book that constantly referred to a man with a
squint. It was only toward the end that I realised in that incarnation of
'English' a squint meant what we call here in Oz, cockeyed (ie, the eyes
point in different directions) and what I thought.

Karl,

For what it's worth, in American English, generally, a squint is what one does with one's eyes when looking into bright light without such protection as sunglasses or shades. Some people, who have spent years in the outdoors without proper vision protection, develop a "permanent" squint. Photographically, the equivalent would be stopping down the iris of the lens of your camera.

Stephen