Re: Questions for 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Ylvisaker"

: For what it's worth, in American English, generally, a squint is what one
does with one's eyes when looking into bright light without such protection
as sunglasses or shades. Some people, who have spent years in the outdoors
without proper vision protection, develop a "permanent" squint.
Photographically, the equivalent would be stopping down the iris of the
lens of your camera.

that was my impression too, but it seems previously in the US (1900's) the
word had an entirely different meaning to the general population and its
meaning is only retained in ophthalmology where it still means to be
affected with strabismus/to be cross-eyed.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/squint

other examples:
gay. happy
bug. insect
doctor. teacher
enthusiasm.  abuse

here we have no forests (misspelt by almost all Australians as forrest due
to the fame of the name) - instead we have the bush.  In other parts of the
world, the bush has an entirely different meaning.

;)